Sunday, October 21, 2007

Mixing Paints

I had actually planned to write on a different topic, but the kids are sobbing and shrieking upstairs. Finally, I can't stand it any more.

"GET DOWN HERE, BOTH OF YOU!"

The sobbing comes closer...closer... They are standing at attention in front of me.

"What. Is. Going. On?"

Sara, through her tears: "Itoldhimhecouldpaintwiththewatercolorsbuthedoesn'tevenreallywantto painthejustwantsto mixthecolorsallup. He's MIXING and MIXING..." (She dissolves again into tears.)

Nathan: "Weeeellllll, I DO want to paint..."

Sara: (Interrupting) "YOU DO NOT!!! Moooommmmm, he's not painting! He just keeps telling me he's going to flick paint at me."

Nathan: "Am not! I want to paint and I need to mix the colors. (In a meditative, sensual tone...) I MIX the colors, they are soooooo pretty. I put my brush in the red, and then in the orange..." He is looking sideways at Sara. He is saying this because he knows this will make her scream:

Sara: "NO!!! NO MIXING!"

Nathan: "Aaaand, she is (he holds up his hand and begins to itemize on his fingers) pinching me, slapping me, flicking bits of paper at me..."

(Sob-surge from Sara.)

I am exasperated at this point. "Oh, Sara, cut it out. You know how much those paints cost? Almost nothing. Big deal if he mixes the colors - we can get more at the grocery st-"

"MOM! DON'T YOU KNOW!?? THERE'S THE 'MIXING PAINT' AND THE 'NON-MIXING PAINT'! HE'S MIXING THE NON-MIXING PAINT!"

Actually, no, I was not aware of this important distinction between our two little trays of watercolors. They both look utterly hashed to me.

Finally, I said, "Sara, Nathan can paint any way he wants. If he mixes the paint, big deal." While I was thus chiding Sara, Nathan got this smug, s*** eating grin.

"And you, Nathan..." Ooops. The grin is wiped suddenly and cleanly from off his little face, replaced by false remorse. "There will be no flicking, throwing, smearing or other uses of paint for torture."

"OK, Mommy." "OK, Mommy."

Nathan exits the interrogation and Sara, once dismissed, lunges after him in a way that makes me yell, "SARA? I saw that. Do not pinch your brother." I guess I'd better go upstairs now. There is an eerie silence that does not bode well. My husband had to work today. I envy him.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Penmark said...

Gotta say I'm in Sara's camp. I tend to be a little bit anal. I like order and control. As a kid, the mixing of the paints would have sent me to sobbing, too. Do they each have their own separate paints so that he can mix and she can keep hers completely mix free?

Maria said...

The eerie silence is what is scary. I thought this with the dog today. He was way too quiet. He had found a pair of my discarded nylons and was dragging them all over the house.

And flicking paint? I want to flick paint so badly sometimes....

Trysha said...

Hehe, this takes me back to high school and my boyfriends little brother spilled the bottle of powder tempra paint and used water to clean it up. Hehe. It could always be worse.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah i'd be in nathan's camp as far as mixing and flicking paint.. hee hee... our coffee bean..i dare say would be in sara's camp...and you wonder why me and the coffee bean fight all the time?????

Anonymous said...

SNAFU

Situation
Normal
All
F__ked
Up


John

The World According To Me said...

Oh dear, the painting didn't go very smoothly! It was funny to read though.

I take it the house is no longer suspiciously silent?!

Unknown said...

lol...i love the dialogue. it really captured the moment...and what a mommy moment it was :)

Amrita said...

Guess Michal Anjelo was also like this when he was nathan 's age