Monday, October 29, 2007

Lemme At Her!

I have had a bad weekend, even though absolutely nothing went wrong. The bad is all in my head, brought about by an uber-mother to-do list that would gag Martha Stewart. (BTW, since I don't have TV, help me out on this. Is Martha Stewart still around? Still an icon for over-achievers? Or should I choose someone else? Who?)

Who is the "she" in, "I don't know how she does it?" I hate that bitch. Or, "She who must be obeyed?" Lemme at her. What do they have that I don't have? Brains? Talent? A superior day-planner? A better multi-vitamin? My husband, seeking to comfort me, actually dared to say, "Don't sweat the small stuff..." I spun around and pointed my blazing six-shooter glare at him. "Are you about to tell me, '...and it's all small stuff?'" Si raised his hands in the air "No. That's a stupid saying. Not everything is small stuff." "That's right. The person who coined that phrase? Notice how we haven't heard from that person in a while? That person was murdered by some mother who found out at the end of the first quarter that she was in charge of treats for her daughter's soccer game." "Oh...which reminds me...", he says, looking at the roster on the fridge.

Deep down, I know I'm being dumb. I'm reading a book by Ishmael Beah that graphically depicts what it's like to have real problems. (By the way, I'm about half way through it, and recommend it highly if you, like me, need to be reminded about what is and isn't "small stuff") Maybe this is why I'm more frustrated than usual: I'm not able to make headway on even non-life-threatening tasks.

Kate's list of recently dropped balls, all of which need to be scooped back up and juggled some more, along with a whole bunch of new ones:
  • Colored pencils in diverse, multi-racial skin-tones for Sara's art project.

  • Nate's skeleton costume. Still consists of a black body suit and a pile of white felt.

  • Four pots of decorative, drought resistant grasses bought but not planted. I got the lilac bush in the ground, but not these. Will the neighbors get to watch me this evening, digging in my garden in my skirt, stockings, dress shoes? Won't be the first time.
  • The Duplo, Brio, Playmobil, Lincoln-Log and Polly-Pocket families had a major block party this weekend and are all hanging out, hung over, in each other's boxes. Frankly, do I care? The kids don't.
  • My ex-vegetable garden is still clogged with crispy tomato plants, rattling in their cages, waiting to be removed.
  • Work. God, let's not even go there. Of, yeah. I am there. Well, OK, I'd better get to it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll stick this one on the end of a 10-foot pole & slide it over to you "gently".... I mailed the flash drive to you today. I really hope you like it. :)

John

Maria said...

I think the lego, lincoln log, polly pocket jamboree would have sent me into a fit. I HATE those little doll things anyway. Liv has something called "Littlest pets" and she loves to play with them and then leave them laying around on the floor where I can slip and break my neck on their little bobble headed stinky selves.

I was so crabby this morning that when Liv tried to talk to me I said, "You are already late for your shower. No talking. I just want to see jaws in motion chewing food."

She will want to take this up with her therapist in about twenty years, I suspect.

Kate said...

Maria-
Sara LOVES "Littlest Pet Shop". I'm like, how can you even play with something so small?

Anonymous said...

oh yeah... the coffee bean has some of those little toys here too... i second Maria's comment..they leave them ALL over the house so that you can really fall over and break your neck! Cheer up....things will get better!

Erin said...

Unfortunately Martha Stewart is still around. You don't have a TV? You're my hero. I mean that genuinely.

And this post is precisely why I don't want kids, I wouldn't be able to pick it all back up again after dropping the ball. I'd go in my shower and cry.

joannmski said...

DH made me buy this year's halloween costume. We figured that the Luke Skywalker outfit would cost $30 premade. Materials for a costume, subtracted from $30, divide that by the 10 hours it would take to make the costume, meant it would be $2 an hour or so. And so, though I sort of didn't want to, I gave in. And now, 2 days before Halloween, I am so happy.

Weber said...

Well Kate, this concept may be hard to grasp right at this moment, but the kids will eventually grow up and move out.

Maya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amrita said...

Do your own thing...M Stewart or not.

Unknown said...

oh those little toys...my son had a playmobil flower stuck up his nose once.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Kate

I have never heard of the toys but I am intrigued now.
Like the sound of your book though.
Here's to better weekends, oh and Happy Halloween! How's the skeleton costume? Or daren't I ask?!

Kate said...

World: The skeleton costume made it out of production. Pictures at 5! :)

Katherine said...

Kate, I just want to tell you I love you! LMAO. I am looking at Jabba the Hut, a.k.a. the mountain of clean, unfolded laundry on my couch, a computer housing an essay I still have not finished, a pile of unsorted papers on my desk....my god....is this really all little stuff? Looks pretty huge to me.

In addition, it's not even 7:00 a.m. here and I just heard my poor neighbor moaning in his back yard (yes, it's a townhouse and we do live that close). He recently had surgery, and I was worried the poor guy was out there dying. But I didn't want to intrude on his privacy if he just needed a place to vent pain in the morning, so I asked the dog to go out. The moaning stopped, so I assume he is okay. Is it part of mothering to worry about the world, or is it just because we care?

Fortunately, the kids are well, caught up with home work (thanks to empathetic teachers who didn't assign homework on Halloween), mildly clean (or will be after morning showers) and happy. The husband is well fed and off to work, and he was smiling. So you know what? That's what counts. Hang in there!!

Elizabeth Penmark said...

Aw, I enjoyed reading this. Just getting caught up after my trip. It's funny how things on your mind are echoed all around you by other people. Things are really bad for me at work. That has made me really examine what are big things and what are small things in my life. Where does the meaning come from and what is just stuff that must me done.