Saturday, October 6, 2007

Don't Worry, Folks!

It's commercially sterile!

I expect this might not be getting regular coverage on CNN, but the story of the rat's head in the can of green beans is rocking the town of Lehi, Utah.

A lady bought the can of beans, canned by Allen Canning of Arkansas, at her local Wal-Mart, and found this when she opened the can. Yum! I think that little pink ear is so cute, and all the sloughed-off fur is SOOO appetizing...

Actually, I think she's making a bit of a fuss about it. I spent some of the summers of my youth working in a cannery, so I know that sometimes...stuff can slide on by you on the picking tables. I canned peas and corn, and I didn't see anything worse than thistle buds, smut blobs, dead bugs, giant tangled clots of sopping corn silk...plus the occasional morsel of dead toad. I've heard stories about beans, though. I never worked at the local bean canning plant, which was just down the road, but I heard stories about the stuff the bean combines would scoop up and haul in to the plant. Mice, rats...I even heard once of a possum that survived both the bean combine and the cutter (it IS hard to kill a possum), and arrived out on the picking table in...well...a bad mood.

What amuses me most about this story is the cautionary tale it should provide public relations people everywhere. Do not let your company spokesperson go on record saying, "There's no way that product could have hurt her....This rodent was rendered commercially sterile."

That's the problem. Put a rat head in one can of beans, pretty soon everybody's going to want one.

http://www.sltrib.com//ci_7089145?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah...hmmm.. get that here in this country as well.. these kinds of things always excite people dont they?

The World According To Me said...

I thought it was a picture of your dinner at first!
I once found a pubic hair in a tube of chocolate mini eggs. I thought I would share that with you. It put me off them, I must admit.

Rich said...

There is something to be said for growing your own produce
- Shirley

Maria said...

This is just one of many reasons why I have a garden every summer and can and freeze my own stuff.

No rat's heads in my beans...maybe a fingernail or two...

Donetta said...

Oh yuk! I will get a lot more common I am sure. I will check my beans better. I like the fresh bagged much better. yuk!

Alice Kildaire said...

ew...maybe the company is simply attempting to add more protein to their consumers' diet ;-)

Elizabeth Penmark said...

EWWWWWWWW!!!

Katherine said...

GAWD!!! That's GROSS!!!

Amrita said...

watch what you eat. anyone could be rat-tled by it.

Diane said...

That's what she GETS for shopping at Mall-Wart.