Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Pumpkins 900"

Unfortunately, my degree in mommy-ology did not include this course. It's graduate level, and I didn't get that far. After I failed "Girls' Hairstyles 350", they didn't think I had potential for an advanced degree. Here's the jack-o-lantern Nate and I made.



In my defense, Nate and I both worked on the mouth, and while I was smoothing and trimming one side, he was busy on the other, humming softly to himself. "Dentist....dentist...I am a dentist..."

Simon, on the other hand, sort of took over Sara's jack-o-lantern. He likes to try something a little edgier. Push the envelope. He would never admit it, but he LOVES carving pumpkins, 'cause he's English and they don't do a lot for Halloween; at least they didn't when he was a kid. The Celts (I believe) made the first jack-o-lanterns, but out of turnips, not pumpkins. Talk about time-consuming... Here's Simon's interpretation of Harry Potter in flight, reaching for he snitch with his scarf blowing out behind him. Can you see it, now that I've told you exactly what it is?



Oh, yeah, sure enough.



And then "HP" in lightning-bolt letters on the back.

Sara and I think we would just get him a pumpkin of his own next year. "Sunset" magazine had some great falling leaf patterns.

Get busy, Si.

6 comments:

joannmski said...

Gorgeous!! Love it. You guys have got to be using those little bitty saws and things?

The World According To Me said...

Love your pumpkins!

The only thing I have ever done with a pumpkin, is eaten it in my soup.
Maybe I should give this pumpkin carving a go?

Maria said...

We have four pumpkins just sitting on our front steps staring at me, waiting, waiting, waiting.

I HATE making jack o lanterns. Mostly it is the scooping. I detest the scooping part and Liv is almost as squeamish as I am about plunging her hand into a seed filled pumpkin. One year, we had such a healthy one that when we took the top off, the seeds were literally bursting out of the top. I thought I was going to puke.

Which kind of ruins the mood.

Unknown said...

I am not into pumpkin carving either. Good thing Dave loves to do all things Halloween.

Nate's jack-o-lantern has the cutest set of eyes. :)

Trysha said...

Awesome! We haven't done pumpkins yet, but I'm looking forward to some roasted pumpkin seeds.

One year I got really creative and got a craft pumpkin for EMT-Dad. I printed out the Detroit Lion logo and carved that out. There was no way I was going to try that year after year!

Amrita said...

Really nicely carved. in india we don 't have these kinds of pumpkins.