Thursday, November 1, 2007

So, Mom, Know What I Want to be NEXT Year?

No. Just give me a few days to recover. The first thing Nate said when he woke up this morning was, "Is it November today? Do you know what that means? CHRISTMAS IS COMING!" Erk!

This was a great year for trick-or-treating. The kids are old enough that we don't have to hold their hands and walk them up the sidewalk to each door any more. Our little neighborhood is a dead-end street with two cul de sacs branching off it. This year, the kids all joined in a pack; roaming the neighborhood, running across the lawns, leaping the flower beds and hiding in the bushes. It had a pleasantly marauding atmosphere. Simon and one other dad just stood on a corner chatting and sort of keeping an eye on things. We ran out of candy. When Sara and Nathan came in, I made them sort through their loot for stuff they didn't like that much, so we had something more to give out. Si figures that, if that were to go on long enough, we'd all end up with the same candy we bought in the first place. Some kids came around twice, but had actually gone home and changed costumes. That level of initiative should be rewarded, in my opinion.


Nate was so wired I couldn't really get him to stand still for a photo. You can see by his poses that his skeleton was kind of a...ninja-skeleton. His eyebrows are still charcoal-colored this morning.

Since Hermione always looks pretty serious on the "Harry Potter" movie posters, Sara has to as well, I guess. I told her she looks good as a brunette, but she's not buying it - says it makes her look too much like me. Dear me. Perish the thought. Finding a Gryffindor tie was not easy. In fact, this tie used to be grey, blue and red. Isn't it fortunate that "Gryffindor gold" is exactly the same color that we painted our office walls last year?

10 comments:

Maria said...

You did such a GREAT job with their costumes. Liv went as Dorothy from Oz and I confess to BUYING her dress and shoes from a costume company. The only authentic thing was Socks the dog looking exactly like Toto....

Diane said...

It's funny Sara said that about being a brunette, because at first glance, I thought the same thing! Never really saw you in her, but now I do!

Anonymous said...

that was COOL.....! like Nate's costume..and obviously HP..yeah? That was good... the "in" thing this year.

The World According To Me said...

I love the costumes! Well done with making them. Sounds like a fun evening was had by all.

joannmski said...

wow, the skeleton looks great!!

Unknown said...

WOW, Kate! You did an awesome job with their costumes.

Amrita said...

The costumes are ice

life is too complicated to discuss said...

nice costumes!

Elizabeth Penmark said...

What happened to the dragon?!?

Diane said...

Elizabeth, since Kate hasn't replied to this one, I will, although I'm risking a lot here, so hopefully you will appreciate my sacrifice. I think the dragon costume was (gasp) too complicated, and, amazingly enough, our gal Kate couldn't fit it into her packed schedule. (How she does it is beyond me.)