Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It's Just a Pedicure

I've never had a pedicure. I've always figured that I would save the money and paint my own toenails. But then my colleague, A. showed up with very pretty toes the other day and I was a bit envious. I was admiring her feet and complaining about how dry and cracked mine always are. She told me that getting a pedicure isn't just about the toenail: they soften, exfoliate, massage... Yeah, but for how much? She goes to the Paul Mitchell School and gets half an hour of foot happiness for only $18. I glanced at my cracked heels and decided: I was havin' me one of those.

Granted, I'm a rookie at this, but how hard can it be to make a pedicure appointment?

I called and arranged to go in next Saturday morning.

Receptionist: OK. So, how many appointments?

[Huh? My mind races. Do you have to go in for one part, then come back later for more? Are the appointments all in half-hour blocks, but I need an hour?]

Me: Uh... I don't know. How many do I need?

Receptionist: No, I mean how many people?

[Now my mind is really racing. I'm imagining those scenes from Wizard of Oz when Dorothy et. al. are in the Emerald City and each one of them is being worked on by a small army of people. ]

Me: Wow. How many people do we need? I mean, it's just a pedicure.

Receptionist (who is now getting tired of me): I'm asking if you are bringing any people with you?

[Moral support?]

Me: No....why would I do that?

At this point, another colleague, M. is about peeing herself, listening in on this. When I got off the phone, she told me, "Lots of people go to get pedicures with their friends." Really? Shit, should I call some friends? Will I be the only one getting a pedicure without my posse? Come to think of it, that is what Dorothy did. Now the receptionist will think, "Oh, THAT one. I remember her. She's dumb and she has no friends!"

No comments: