Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Weaknesses

I've been thinking about things which utterly dissolve my will-power. I'm pretty disciplined for the most part. I don't leave beds unmade or dirty dishes in the sink. I like the gym. I don't veg very much. But there are a few things that completely destroy my self-possession:

1. Dark chocolate. No diet can come between us. I will hoard; I will not share. I will tell you it's gone when I am hiding a piece under my napkin.

2. Waves and waving branches. Sometimes, I will jump, realizing that I have been standing stock still for the last ten minutes, staring at my neighbor's Cottonwood as it sways in the breeze. There is a Hornbeam tree in my back yard that hypnotizes me. Sometimes, I'll take a late-night cocktail out on the back patio and just watch the tree.

3. Men. Bless 'em. I will drop everything for a little flirting.

4. A good book. I can't walk through my bedroom at the moment without stopping to stare at Your Blues Ain't Like Mine, by Bebe Moore Campbell, where it sits on my nightstand. I know I am supposed to get ready for work. I know I have a busy day ahead. But, still I reach for the book and read standing up (as if that makes a difference). If you also go spineless in the presence of a good book, stay away from this one.

OK! What about you? Can you think of a few things that will cause you to drop every good intention? Share, please!

5 comments:

Maria said...

I'm with you re: books. I don't understand people who don't read. WHY would one deprive themselves of such a perfect pleasure?

And...BBQ potato chips. Cannot even have them in our house. I will eat an entire bag in one sitting.

Amrita said...

Love this Kate.


Sorry I callede you Kathy in my blog comment.

I love, books and strong coffee with lots of milk and sugar.

Dark choco and men are good too. But all men my age are married.

alisonwonderland said...

Chocolate and books are both on my weaknesses list too!

The World According To Me said...

Weaknesses, hmmm, I with you on the chocolate and a good book. But also strong cheese and white wine.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.