Monday, September 17, 2007

Accio...Earring!*

* "Harry Potter 8" will be about how Harry makes a living in a post-Voldemort world. Auror positions will be hard to come by in peace-time, but Harry will make serious bank in the Muggle world by summoning all our lost s***.

Harry, I need you. I have tried the summoning charm, but I am a mere Muggle. Nathan has wandered around the house and front yard with his wand, but still no results. My gorgeous, NEW, hand-tooled, Navajo silver hoop encrusted with numerous tiny but VERY fiery opals (damn, damn, DAMN...) remains lost. I wore them to a meeting on Friday, and then I came straight home. I was sitting at supper when Sara asked me why I only had one earring in. I reached up and the earring back was actually still there, pressed against the back of my ear lobe. I have hunted high and low.

Harry, how much would you charge? And while we're at it, could we do a general shout-out to all the earring that I have lost? The cute little wooden ones that were in my car when it got stolen; the ones I bought in Africa, that slipped out of a hole in the bottom of my purse while I was in the Peace Corps; the spectacular danglies Mom brought me from Israel. The list is long, Harry. We'll need to hold out a big bag to catch them all. And while we're at it, let's summon:

  • my dad's rhododendron hiking stick that he used for 40 years before losing it in the Escalante wilderness.
  • the perfectly seasoned rope that fell out of the top of my backpack while I was fording a river in Alaska. Whoops.
  • the super-cozy pajama bottoms I left in a hotel on a business trip. There are a bunch of hotel losses, actually.
  • the red and white umbrella that was a parting gift from my students when I left Poland, signed by all of them (also in the stolen car). My most painful loss.

Anybody care to share? If you could get a wizard to serve as YOUR summoning consultant, what would be returned to you?

7 comments:

Diane said...

The roll of film from my "5 years as the Postal Wench / Happy Birthday" party given to me by the then-women of Alta. Lost in the mail, of all things!

~ L said...

The mate to my one remaining pearl & diamond earring that I wore on my wedding day.

Each earring had a pearl that was the size of a small pea. The diamonds were tiny and sat beneath the pearls. One of my bridesmaids gave me the earrings. I was so sad when I lost one of them.

I also lost some pretty amethyst earrings I got as a gift when I used to teach preschool. They were from Ann Taylor. Super pretty. Those were a hotel loss. (I can relate.) I lost a few items on that trip, but those were missed the most.

In high school I HAD to have a pair of Tretorn tennis shoes. I wore them for about a month and ended up losing just one. Needless to say, no one was really excited about buying me another pair of fancy-schmancy shoes...

Maria said...

This has nothing to do with anything, but did you ever wonder where Lily and James got all that loot to leave to Harry? I mean, they were young...hardly old enough to have established careers and you never hear about James' family. They must have been millionaires....

I would really like to find the ring that Bing bought me recently. I lost it and she hasn't noticed that I am not wearing it yet. Of course, she is so unobservant that this could go on for years....

The World According To Me said...

Yep, where's Harry Potter when you need him?!

I've lost my way in life a few times, but luckily I've stumbled across the path back.

I've also lost my silver watch, Christmas present from my parents last year. My mum keeps asking where it is. I don't want to admit I have been careless and misplaced it, so I keep saying it's too big and I have to get a link taken out before I loose it (!) I think I better buy a replacement one before she twigs.

Katherine said...

The Catholic Italians used to say, "Something's lost and must be found. Please, St. Anthony, look around!"

I find I still repeat this when something very important goes missing.

Unfortunately, there are too many things missing around here for me to list, but I am sure most of them are SOMEWHERE. It has more to do with my house than anything else. (Once, I did accidentally throw my car keys away, however. That was a St. Anthony moment for sure.)

Erin said...

I think this is a wonderful idea! But I'm much more interested in the fact that you were in the Peace Corps! I've been seriously contemplating joining! I have so many questions for you - would you mind emailing me? My email is on my profile!

Alice Kildaire said...

hmmm...I keep thinking about that saying they use on t-shirts and car chains — "of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"