Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Valuable Training Seminars

At our school's last staff meeting, I agreed to serve on the "Safety and Facilities" committee. I figure this might give me opportunities to throw stuff out. Will I finally get to tell that pack-rat of a Second Grade teacher's assistant that she can no longer fill the computer lab with bulging plastic storage tubs of dryer lint? Looks like a fire hazard to me.

My colleague who is chairing the committee came to my office yesterday to tell me that, as a member of the Safety and Facilities committee, I have been invited to attend a seminar called "Boilers and Burners: Efficiency and Safety". This $700 2-day conference is being held in 7 cities nationwide (Hmmm...Anaheim? Chicago? Ooooh...Syracuse!) and includes seminars such as, "Burner Basics", "Gas Valve Train Assemblies" and (now this one sounds fun) "Fundamentals of Combustion". Could damage my nice-girl reputation, though.

She was pulling my leg, although Syracuse is beautiful in late October, I'm sure. Unfortunately, we didn't budget for "Boilers and Burners".

As a busy professional, I prefer training videos to destination seminars, anyway. I was sitting in the office of the Director of Childhood Education, and saw a video on her bookcase entitled "Head Lice To Dead Lice". It promises "safe solutions for frantic families". I'm not sure why, but he photo of the mommy on the case is actually a man in drag, including the five o'clock shadow. I'm intrigued (Kate says, scratching her head). Maybe I should take it home over the weekend.

11 comments:

Weber said...

Kate, you need to check out the post today at yourheartout.com. The post is called "blurb" and it's about printing out your blog and actually putting it into a book format. It looks really cool.

Anonymous said...

hmmm head lice to dead lice??? eeewww itchy already.....

Maria said...

Wow. I didn't think that head lice was a problem for drag queens....

Learn something new every day, though.

And hey...about Harry? Liv and I are WAY behind. She has been so busy with school that she has started falling asleep after about two pages of Harry every night, so we are only at the part where Harry, Ron and Hermione are traveling to X Lovegood's...and you know what happens there. Uh oh.

So, your kids were okay with the King's Cross chapter? Liv has already nearly freaked out at the Godric's Hollow chapter...I am really wondering if I can read the King's Cross one....

And, I MISS seminars and road trips. When I worked full time, I could count on at least two a year. Now, that I freelance...zilch. Bing gets to go to Nashville in mid October, though. I am so jealous.

Rebecca said...

I rarely get to travel to conferences. Since NYC is the media capital, most Publishing Industry shows stop here, so I walk over from the office. Blech! I was excited the year they held the Circulation Management show in Chicago!

And a drag queen in a lice video? Man, what would Ru Paul think?!?!?!

Good luck with the pack rat! Good idea to go at it from that angle.

Elizabeth Penmark said...

I really like work conferences! Mainly because that is about my only vacation. Ever. It's also the way I've seen a lot of places that I would probably not have seen for a long time. This November I get to go to Orlando for work!! Yay! If The Boy were bigger, I'd make it a family thing. But at three, I just don't think he'd get enough out of it to justify the cost. I've heard other parents say they should be at least five. Right now he would be terrified of the characters...AND the rides...AND all the people. Come to think of it, he'd have more fun at the McDonald's playplace!

But, out of loyalty to my son, I won't go to Disney World without him. (Oh, Hell. I'll just say it. It's not about loyalty. It is about lack of time and money. :) But, I do get to stay at a fancy-pants resort and just relax for four nights, and I think I may be able to fit in Sea World! Can you tell I'm excited??? I lead such a boring life. :)

Diane said...

Elizabeth, go to Epcot Center! I went there shortly after they opened it, and it was a blast! DisneyWorld for adults!

Amrita said...

Hi Kate, wow it really is a small world. I want to say Hi to the blogreader from Cambellsport, my friend lives near you.

Katherine said...

LMAO Kate, I just love your postings.

And yeah...that's a pretty damn expensive class on boilers! How about..."If you smell gas, make sure it's not your fish tank chemicals....then call the gas company."

Hey. How was I to know????

Anonymous said...

I want to say "Hi" to the blogger from Cambellsport...go Cougars!

John

Katherine said...

BTW I agree. If I had to travel right now with my kids in school and all, I don't know how I would do it! Travel is always difficult.

Amrita said...

Your counter looks cool and my city is on it. My Mom was suggesting what Shirley mentioned and i said Nah, its not possible and who would want to read it. But I 'll check that website