Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Nathan and His Parts, Chapter XXVII

[Thanks, JYankee, for your guidance on linking text. I'll try it today.]

Five-year-old Nathan LOOVVES potty words and references to male anatomy. I am mystified, but have been told this is normal. Nothing makes him fall off his chair laughing like the word "pee-pee". Why say "Tuesday", when you can call it "Toot-sday", especially if you can pull off a fart-on-cue at then same time?

His lexicon is expanding, but isn't really (I would say) becoming more sophisticated. At supper last night he informed us in his piping little voice that girls are dumber than boys. Frozen in the glare of three females all within striking distance (sister Sara, cousin A. and myself), he utilized another highly gender-specific skill and backpedaled like mad.

"Well, what I mean is that the little girls at daycare are dumber than the little boys at daycare."

"Oh, really. And what do you base that on?"

"Weeeellll, when we chase them, the girls all run away screaming every time. They don't know they should run right at us and kick us in the 'nads!"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, there's nothing quite like the first time being kicked in the "nads" to take some of that cockiness out of you. :)

John

Elizabeth Penmark said...

Golly, I'd have to say he might be on to something... :)

Fortunately my son hasn't quite gotten to that stage yet. I am dreading it because I am a real wimp when it comes to potty words.

Anonymous said...

ha yeah im sure he'll be eatin his words when that happens! and you did it on the link! alright!!!!

Amrita said...

One things for sure he 's going in the right direction! LOL

Diane said...

Har Har! That Nate is a hoot!

Kate said...

@ Elizabeth: What I find worrying is how quickly I have stopped hearing them.

Maria said...

I have so many friends with boys and they all say the same thing: that they seem to be obsessed with scat humor or body part humor.

And when I asked Liv about her first day of school, how it went, she commented that "those boys still keep making fart noises and then they sit there and giggle like girls about it."

She hasn't a clue why this is so funny. She is far too interested in books about horses....

How does Sara react to him?

Kate said...

Sara has a gift for eye-rolling, and has honed this skill while dealing with Nathan.

Katherine said...

LOL

We never REALLY grow out of that, do we?

I confess to calling Wal-mart "Wal-Fart." My kids have advanced enough to find this embarrassing.

Alice Kildaire said...

lol....stories about that child and his body parts are always sooo funny! He seems to be progressing quite nicely into full-fledged manhood!