Friday, November 2, 2007

Die, Dishwasher, Die!

Our dishwasher is, I think, older than the house, which was built in 1986. Most of the built-in appliances are from about 1972, judging from the instruction manuals helpfully left behind by Charles and Linda S., when they downsized their lives. I used to think this was a cost- saving measure on their part, but have since revised my position. Now I think Linda loved her kitchen stuff and brought her range, wall-oven and dishwasher from the old homestead out of intense personal attachment. Perhaps I am insensitive, but my first priority is that an appliance works well; not misplaced nostalgia about how I used it to cook the first meal of my married life. Two days after we moved in, we replaced her old range. It only had two burners and the oven was so small a cookie sheet wouldn't fit in it. She stopped by about a month later to get something she'd forgotten, and she was devastated. "Oh! You got a new range?!? Well. Oh, my goodness..."

Damn, Linda, if I'd known you cared so much, I would have saved it for you.

At any rate, all last week, the dishwasher wasn't working, and I thought, "YES! This is it!" But then I made the mistake of looking at the chunky square push-buttons on the front, and noticed that none of them was currently pushed in. Experimentally, I pushed the one that said "Automatic Wash Cycle", and the dishwasher sprang to life.

I jumped and looked around frantically. Oh, man! What have I DONE?! I was peering at the front panel, trying to figure out how I could return it to its state of disrepair when my husband walked in. Busted. Si said, "Well that explains that. I wonder how that button came un-pressed. Maybe someone bumped into it." Happy that the problem was solved, he wandered away again.

Anyone know how to sabotage a dishwasher?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dump sugar in the gas tank.

Oh, shit! ...that's for a car.

Sorry, will have to get back to you on this one.


John

Maria said...

If you find out, tell me. Our house is ancient and ALL the appliances, including a built in sprinkler system were purchased in 1976. And DAMN if ALL of them are still working. The dishwasher is on it's last legs though, it will only run on pots and pans cycle. Bing argues that we always use this cycle anyway, so what do we need to buy a new one for? I say because it is AVOCADO green.

Kate said...

Maybe Bing and Simon would like to like frugally together, enjoying the mileage they get out of old appliances.

joannmski said...

I can't think of anything, offhand. They normally die a natural death for me. But I do have to say that this post made me laugh! I think it was Linda's emotional attachment to the appliances that did it.

Trysha said...

They don't make 'em like they used to. sigh...my 2 year old dryer went out. Done. It didn't even go through the phase of banging against the wall and making that horrible hammer sound. It just quit on me. What have I ever done to you!?!?!?!

Um...just a guess, but maybe a wine glass could "accidentally" get broken around the water swirly tihng (really technical, I know) Also, maybe a disposable tupperware lid can take one for the team by sitting on the drying element and smoking. Nothing gets the hubby jumping like the smell of burnt plastic coming from the dishwasher...just to push him towards Home Depot. :)

Amrita said...

The hose of my washing machine is leaking, its 10 yeears old, time for a replacement.

life is too complicated to discuss said...

lolz.

Your dishwasher is as almost as old as I am!

Anonymous said...

kick it????

Diane said...

I've been contemplating buying a dishwasher. Never had one. When complaining about how my dishes pile up to another single friend (who has one), he said his dishes still pile up because he doesn't empty it in a timely fashion. Hmmm....I still think I may have to get one.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can sew a vodoo-doll in the likeness of your dishwasher & stick pins in it.

John