Sunday, November 25, 2007

Tur-key Din-ner

You know, this month I did not hear Adam Sandler sing his Thanksgiving song even one time. Which is fine, really, because every time I say the words "turkey dinner", his little voice starts singing in my ear, anyway.

I hope everyone who reads this (in the USA) had a great Thanksgiving! I had four days off in a row, which I largely spent in Afghanistan, in the company of Khaled Hosseini. I need to give some thought to my (so called) book review of "A Thousand Splendid Suns", but I don't think I can write it until I have had a chance to recover. I will say this much: have Kleenex handy. Oodles of it. I cried in the shower; I cried while cooking supper. I soaked the sofa cushions and Simon had to get out the wet/dry vac to deal with the puddles I left on the sun porch floor.

I'll be able to consider it on its literary merits in a couple of days. And thanks, Lillian! I see you have tagged me for a me-me, which I will do tomorrow. I have pressing business today. Look out - I'm feeling all serious.

The cost of food (and not just lamb chops) is starting to hurt. My family, sure, but I've noticed the most trouble in the food panties. Freudian slip: I mean "pantries". This isn't about edible underwear (although I'll bet its cost per pound is going up as well). This has been kind of sneaking up on me for the last 5 or 6 months: every week, it seems, I'm on the phone with our local food bank; whining, begging, threatening, cajoling - we need more bread to give out to our clients. Sometimes, we only get half the usual amount, sometimes less. Finally, I spoke with an executive who explained to me that there just isn't any. It used to be that bakeries produced surplus to make sure everyone had access to the full range of products all the time. What didn't get sold was picked up by the food bank and eventually made its way to my school where we gave it out. But as the price of production has gone up, not only has the higher cost been passed on to consumers; but bakeries aren't making any extra. In the interest of cost effectiveness, they are making less and allowing it to sell out in the stores. This is smart business, but the food chain that used to rely on their leavings is still out there.

Then there's the turkey crisis. I love giving out turkeys because they can usually provide a family with a couple meals and soup bones after that. Always in the past, we have been given some turkeys for families that needed them, both for Thanksgiving and for Christmas. This year, the food pantry couldn't spare us any. I met an acquaintance today at the rec center and we went around the track together a few times. She said, "I have some good stuff to donate to your students." "Great!" "Clothes and shoes?" "Perfect." (I was running, hence the one-syllable replies.) "And what about school supplies?" "Awesome. (I gather enough breath to form a sentence. I have become good, over the years, at asking for stuff.) Can I tell you what I'm really looking for, though? Turkeys! Do you know anyone who could do a turkey-drive for us this year?" Her smile faltered. She said she'd think about it.

Why is this happening? Anna Quindlen addresses it, succinctly and with style, in the latest issue of Newsweek. http://www.newsweek.com/id/70982

I am surprised by the things I'm learning about the ethanol boom. Turns out it consumes more energy than it creates. I had high hopes, but I'm starting to see that we grow food, then use it to fuel our cars. But this isn't meant to be a political rant. I want anyone who reads this to go out and buy three frozen turkeys and FedEx them to my school. Don't worry - they take forever to thaw. OK, just kidding. But we need to check in with our local food pantries: now, and again every few months. In addition to turkeys, they will happily accept peanut butter, tuna, pasta, canned fruit and veg (especially beans and tomatoes), lentils... Oooh, I sound preachy. Yuck. I'll stop now.

7 comments:

The World According To Me said...

So the book was sad?! I think I might investigate that one, and buy some tissues at the same time!

Has your school received any turkeys yet?!

Anonymous said...

hmm the state of things in the good ole us of a....

Katherine said...

Yes, I've noticed things like milk and cheese going up here in my area. I didn't understand why until hubby explained it. Why, oh why, do we continue to use gasoline and oil??? Auto industries, are you listening yet? How about a hybrid TRUCK?

Asking for donations really is a tough job, especially when some people are less than sympathetic to the poor. We have too many people with that "Get a job, you bum!" mentality. Seems the more money we make, the worse that mentality grows.

BTW, it sounds like you have some center going on over there. A school, a pantry, a rec center, etc.? Wow. What else is there? It sounds huge.

Amrita said...

Food prices have gone up phenomenaly here too, we just can 't afford many things. The staples are very costly. Its the poor who are suffering the most.I give away fruit and vegetalbes to poor people in our community.

Elizabeth Penmark said...

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing. These are thoughts that have been on my mind a lot, too, lately. Another issue with ethanol, which, in my opinion, makes it a non-viable alternative, is that we simply don't have enough land in this nation to grow all the corn we would need. It just isn't possible. It seems a bit like a band-aid to cover a surgical scar.

Elizabeth Penmark said...

Kate - when you have a moment, stop in to see my latest post. It was partially inspired by what you were writing about the food pantries, and I am very curious about your opinions about what I wrote.

Trysha said...

Food prices are outrageous! I keep thinking it's me and I'm doing such a poor job managing my budget, but they have really sky-rocketed around here.

I have noticed the difference since moving to a small town because there is no competition here like there is in Phoenix. In Phoenix I may have had to hit all 3 stores in my neighborhood to get the savings, but I really did save. Here, there's Wal-Mart, Albertsons and mom n pop shops. I have to admit, as much as I would like to shop and keep the little guy in business, they just can't beat the price of milk, eggs and butter at Albertsons. (I absolutely LOATHE Wal-Mart)

Asking for Donations is a tough thing, but when you think about what some people need vs. what some people take for granted, how could you not help out? It seems that the ones who really need help are always the most reluctant to ask.

I helped organize an "adopt-a-family" last year and will do it again this year and it's no easy undertaking! Kudos to you and all that you do!!