Thursday, November 15, 2007

Jingles

I have these boots...they are so darn cute. Chocolate brown (fake) suede; high, spiky heels; kind of bunched and gathered at the ankles. They're great, but they are decorated with metal rings at about ankle-level, and they jingle when I walk.

This is an annoyance that I try to overcome with my imagination. I pretend that they are...spurs. [low, sotto voce] I walk into the saloon, and the place goes quiet. You can hear a pin drop as I walk deliberately up to the bar: chink, chink, chink. I say, "Jack. On the rocks." I'm so f***ing cool.

Then, there's reality.

"What's that jingling noise?"
"Oh. My boots. There's these two rings, see, and they-"
"That is so cute, what with Christmas coming and all. You're like a little elf!"

Shiiiit.

And of course, everyone knows I'm coming. It makes me think of my mom. I used to be a nursing assistant at a long-term care facility, and my mom was Director of Nursing there. We were often on night shift together, and in the wee hours you could hear her walking the dim hallways, 'cause she had this soft, breathy whistle thing that she did. Always "What A Friend We Have In Jesus". We'd hear her coming and snap to it. Not that my boots necessarily have that effect.

7 comments:

Diane said...

You can always cut them off.

Anonymous said...

it's amazing about the misconceptions we have about ourselves! well..it is CUTE to be an elf..they could've called ya something else....

Maria said...

Is there any way to cut them off or are they staying for good? I have a pair of hiking boots that I love that make this odd whining sound when I walk on anything other than carpet or concrete. Since our house is nearly all wood floors, I can't sneak up on anyone.

Not, that I do that. Much. Sometimes, I do like to make sure that Liv is REALLY doing her homework and not drawing Harry Potter with Ravenclaw's diadem instead. (BTW...we are slow going with this last HP book, she keeps falling asleep at night before we hit the second page, so we have just learned that Fred is dead.)coffee

cinnibonbon said...

LOL..I love the cool in my head image better than that elf!! I say wear them every "f**king" day!!! Aything that brings enjoys should be abused.

Unknown said...

a cool elf maybe?

Anonymous said...

No! Better yet!

With those clangy boots, you could play pirates as a Pastafarian in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Aarrrrrrrgggghh!!!


-John

Maya said...

When one has a great pair of boots that make you feel oh so good, I say JINGLE AWAY! .. because you're so cool.

F'in cool that is.