Thursday, July 5, 2007

Alone In The Office

I am all alone here at school tonight, because my evening English as a Second Language program has a two-week break. Well, everyone else has a break, but this is my time to do all the final reports and paperwork for the school year that has just finished, and get ready for the new one, which begins in mid-July. Seven of us share this little office, so when I have it to myself, I...
1. Blog, obviously.
2. Swipe food from my co-workers. Diane, I ransacked your desk drawer and chewed up the last of your Altoids gum. I owe you. If Becca ever came on my blog, she would know that I also owe her some chocolate-covered espresso beans.
3. I listen to music REALLY LOUD. Tonight it is Mana, my favorite Mexican rock band.
4. Start to get twitchy as the night gets later. All the little whirs, thumps and bangs - I wonder, if it is "the ghost" (My old boss, Suzanne, now dead. I swear she's still trying to find a quiet corner of the building in which to have a clandestine cigarette), the pipes or....Lula, the new custodian?! She's just arrived to do a late-night cleaning, blowing all the mystical atmosphere of the silent school. "You're still here?!?" she asks, and revs up the vacuum. Well, fine. I guess I'll go home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even with the loud music, it sounds kind of spooky. This could be a Halloween post. BTW-you're one of those evil food swipers? I hope you don't thieve other people's Cokes too. :)

Diane said...

Kate, you're off the hook about the Altoids b/c you told me already. Besides, chewing gum can hardly be considered food. Now, Becca's espresso beans might be another story.....

Anonymous said...

Hey I do it all the time at my office.... Stoled a colleagues cup noodles once...How's that???

Anonymous said...

Ooooo ....I LOVE chocolate covered espresso beans! Is there anything one can't do when wired on sugar & caffein?

The local grocery Co-op down on Jennifer St. here in the Mad City sells it by the half-pound.

Definite "over-dose" potential!

Epimenides said...

I do it all the time with a coleagues Cream Crackers! She always says "Shit! I have to cut down, I've finished another packet!" Little does she know!!! Hehehe......

Katherine said...

Sounds creepy! Our ESL office is in a remote place, as well, in a compound no less! It's the really dark nights on which I most appreciate working from home online. New online class starting tonight, in fact..here's to our ESL students, working hard!

Amrita said...

You gotta do something when you 're all alone working late