Thursday, July 5, 2007

Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion...


But nowhere in the Bill of Rights does it promise Freedom from Writer's Block.


Look out! This is a serious posting, devoid of LOL. I like to try to keep my blog light-hearted and upbeat. I generally want to avoid politics and other serious topics for two reasons: I don't think I'm articulate or informed enough to write well about such complex matters and I don't want to bore the pants off my blog-buddies. However, I'm beginning to see that I need an occasional serious moment to clear my mind of a preoccupation if it stifles my sense of humor. So I have to say that the Fourth of July is no fun for me anymore.


[Cue twittering birds and gentle, lilting music] I can recall a time when the Fourth of July was simpler. A day for eating, swimming and parade-watching. My home town is pretty small, but the neighboring town that hosted the area's Fourth of July parade is even smaller. John, if you're out there, help me - what's the population of Dalton? Well, we'd go over there for the parade, and then go back over at night for fireworks. We'd sit in the mosquito-y grass and wait. Boom! A firework would go off. We'd admire it, then talk amongst ourselves while the fire department got another one ready. Boom! Like that. That was the Fourth of July.


Now, I live in a place with better fireworks. I can clearly remember the first summer after we moved here, seeing fireworks going off in quick succession for the first time. Simultaneously, even. I was floored. That was fun. But either I'm imagining things or the Fourth of July is changing. I would be interested to know if this is just the case in super-conservative Utah, or whether is is the same everywhere in the country.


Now, it's a holiday in which we engage in the collective Beating of Chests. In which we shout from the rooftops about our Freedoms (as if no on else has any), our God-Given Rights, our Patriotism. I capitalize these words because they have been taken captive and given new definitions by our propaganda. Heavy words that we toss around lightly because they're reduced to jingoistic catch-phrases. Here are some others that drive me crazy: Family Values; a Nation of Laws; Support Our Troops. Underlying them. they have expected behaviors, veiled threats and intent to polarize.


I'm a language person, so I pay close attention to discourse. Why do we choose the words we choose? What's our intent when we use them? Solidarity or exclusion? I'm sick of the belligerent assumptions about American superiority. Whistling in the dark, if you ask me.


This kind of thinking has actually prevented me from blogging. Maybe I need another blog for my favorite rants: health care, xenophobia, campaign finance reform. Good lord, who'd want to read it?


At any rate, after the fireworks we went home and put the kids to bed; and I made raspberry jam. It was 11 PM when I started, but mashing raspberries with a potato masher eased my mind a little bit.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey we don't mind... it's worth spouting off once in awhile...that's what your blog's for isn't it? I am the same too tho...I keep mine pretty simple and light...I'd comment on the politics over here... but have NO idea what is going on!

Anonymous said...

It's cool. Just like a, "Hey Everybody, Let's Get To Know Kate Better!" post. Personally, I don't know how it is in Utah, but there's plenty of drunken jingoism here in Florida. It's probably more prevalent in your neck of the woods though.

Diane said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure about that, David. Especially the drunken part! :-)

Anonymous said...

Writer's block??? Gee, and I thought you weren't posting because the combination of the in-laws stay & King George keeping Scooter out of the pokey was too much stress. :)

Dalton ...always constant 250 population ever since the Chicago-Northwestern railroad went through back in 1911.

How many families related to me live in Dalton??? My dad used to run the pie stand down in the park during the town's celebration. Now we go to the parade in Pardeville down the road a mile or two. During last years' family reunion, I and about 30 of the relation dressed in Mardi Gras attire and entered ourselves into that towns parade (it's a small enough town ...they'll take just about anybody). No bare-breasts, however ... we didn't get that plastered.

More to the point, the first ancestor to venture across the pond to the New World was the brave & dashing seafaring Captain William Knight of a so-far un-named merchant vessel flying the Union Jack ... that'd be 15 generations ago now and counting.

John

Rebecca said...

Kate, I think a reference to American political goings on is perfectly appropriate fare for the Fourth. Especially now. While a certain amount of national pride is healthy, hubris is not. We need people to point out where and when we, as individuals and a nation, have crossed the line. That the choice of word and deed in the public discourse over the last few years has been designed to polarize is obvious, and sadly been very successful.

Anonymous said...

I'm with "rp" on this one.

John

Epimenides said...

Please don't get me started with politics!
I just wanted to say that I always thought that the population of Dalton was four. Joe, the other two and Averel (Lucky Luke)! Hahaha

Anonymous said...

my 12-year-old son came home from the fireworks all upset and angry about the amount of pollution they contributed to the environment...i guess it's virtual fireworks on the web from now on. wish he could remain innocent longer...
dana