Saturday, July 28, 2007

I'm Obsessed With His Ass!

Nathan's! Whose did you think?

Nathan is constipated. The problem (which I have heard is not all that uncommon in a busy little kid) is that there is always something he'd rather be doing than pooping. He's even perturbed about taking time out to pee, which is why he still has an occasional accident. At preschool, if he suspects that anything interesting is about to happen while he's in the bathroom, he'll come mincing out with his pants still around his ankles, saying, "Wait! Wait for me!"

So, I can see how this comes about. I talk to his teachers so they can encourage him to go. I promise to perch on the edge of the tub and read stories if he'll just sit still on the pot for a few minutes. We discuss foods that are good for pooping. Oatmeal, good. Cheese, bad. Plums, good. Salami, bad. The first time he got really constipated, I gave him Colace for a few days, and he was OK again. This past week, that failed to do the trick, and after about 6 days, I was stumped. It became a constant, nagging worry. I called the pediatrician. "Time for an enema," she said. When I was a kid, the dreaded enema was an ongoing threat that my mother used to keep all of us kids regular. I had only the vaguest of notions about what was involved, but it sounded sinister.

Nathan was intrigued. When I took it out of its package last night, his eyes lit up. "Are you going to put that up my bum?" I was at a bit of a loss. This is supposed to be a quasi-medical procedure; to be taken seriously and anticipated with solemnity. I got him arranged on a towel on the bathroom floor as per the instructions and carefully administered the thing as directed. Simon was ready, thinking he'd need to be held down. On the contrary, he just giggled and said, "Well, this is awkward!" It worked like a charm and he was totally blissed out by the experience. He sat there with a huge grin and gave me a blow-by-blow description of how it felt. He hopes he'll need another enema again soon. I'm worried that he'll never want to poop in the conventional sense again.

17 comments:

Donetta said...

Oh Girl kids amaze us at every turn. What a little spunky soul! He is not wanting to let anything pat him :)

Anonymous said...

Gosh...what if he gets hooked on enema??? Ha.. he'll be ok... hoping it works!

Katherine said...

Wow. You know, Kate, that's a little disturbing. LOL

My daughter who sometimes has difficulty with the same thing gets somewhat cured by eating raisins and being reminded to drink more and more water. Thank goodness we haven't had to go the enema route!

Anonymous said...

Kate, I'm not sure this is a story you would ever want to share with Nathan.

Anonymous said...

Mother's lovingly administering enema's to their kids......so men with enema fetishes are doing it to relive that tender moment with dear-old mom. Hmmm...I've always wondered about that. :)

John

Rebecca said...

Kate, boys are so much harder in this area than girls!! Chris pee trained in no time, but it took forever to get the BM thing down. He never could hold it like that though--we had all the laundry issues instead.

Kate said...

@Jyankee-that's what I'm afraid of! He wasn't supposed to like it!

@Katherine- I couldn't agree more that it's a little disturbing. The kid eats a bowl of oatmeal every day, high fiber fruits and whole wheat pasta instead of white. Yet...here we are.

@Shirley- This will embarrass the hell out of him someday, but not at the moment. It's the first thing he talks about lately. "Did you knnow I'm constipated?"

@John- So there ARE enema fetishes! I wondered. Well, I do see a sexual thing going on here, but it doesn't worry me much. He knows what blows his hair back and he wants to share, I guess.

Maria said...

God, that mad me laugh!!

Liv is terrified of having diarrhea. And when she does, she thinks it is the last food she ate. So, now...she refuses to eat cheese pizza, cream of wheat, strawberry milk or applesauce.
Go figure.

She also has a knack for suddenly having to poop as soon as we are headed out the door, usually late for something. I got in the habit of asking her ten minutes before we left if she wanted to try to go. No. She didn't have to.

And then, once she heard the jingle of my car keys, she suddenly felt those bowels loosen up nicely. It drives me insane, it really does.

But, it is better than when she was in kindergarten and was embarrassed to poop at school. The head mistress even offered her the use of her bathroom for privacy, but she simply could not poop at school. This led to many fast drives home from school with her squealing, "Hurry! Hurry, please!"

Ay yi yi....

Maya said...

That's hilarious!

I deal with the constipation issue all the time at work (the residents, not me!). The facility serves a concoction called "power pudding". It's a mix of ground up raisins, prunes and wheat germ. I usually put it in the residents oatmeal. Works pretty good.

My son would never go poop at school. The poor kid would hold it all day and then make a mad dash to the bathroom as soon as he got home!

Alice Kildaire said...

haha...poor kid! C'mon guys, think about it, you're all backed up for a week and suddenly mommy's magical enema makes you feel sooo much better, of course he liked it!

BTW, I'm wondering if I once had an enema fetish — one a day for nearly a week trying deperately to go into labor, lol

Unknown said...

so it's "power pudding" that i add in my three year old's oatmeal. he likes his oatmeal with raisins, very-ripe-almost-rotting bananas and wheat germ. ^o^

Jessica Oakley said...

Oh. My. God.

Anonymous said...

You've got a klysmo on your hands there. He's not the first, and he won't be the last. What happens next is that he gets embarassed about it, and begins using enema equipment on himself hoping no one discovers it. If you watch the equipment, you'll see.

He'll be this way forever. Why, I couldn't tell you. Hope that he meets a woman who can meet his needs, as he gets older.

Anonymous said...

Hello, you site is very funny he told me to cheer up .. Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!

Anonymous said...

I wanna to decide some of questions in this area. Could u help me to do it?

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!