Monday, July 30, 2007

Toothbrush Cutter

Before I get to my actual post, I would like to say that I am perfectly happy just at this moment because:

1. I'm eating Whoppers.
2. My son pooped this evening without medical intervention. Plums are a mom's best friend.
3. My mouse was so horrible, but I just took it apart and cleaned all the crap out of there, and now its moving as smoothly as Nathan. Aaaah.

I'm a cheap date, I know.

"Toothbrush cutter" is a term used to describe a backpacking purist. A person who will go to great lengths to save even a fraction of an ounce of weight, including taking a hacksaw to her toothbrush. My dad is a toothbrush cutter ("Why would we need two potatoes? There are only six of us; one potato's enough."); Simon and I used to be. Now, we are hypocrites. True, we cut our toothbrushes, but we will be taking two apples and two oranges. Oranges are an insane luxury. Carry the peel in, carry the peel out. Suspend the fragrant, varmint-attracting peel 15 feet in the air at night.

Are we planning a backpacking trip or having a marriage encounter session? Who is this guy? In a different epoch of our life together (namely, before kids), Simon and I backpacked all the time, and there was no need to negotiate or compromise. We knew the drill. We haven't done this since I was pregnant with Sara, though. He's changed. He is not the man he was.

Evidence. Exhibit A:

"OK, lunches. What should we take?"
"What did we use to take?"
(What am I , the historian?) "Hardtack and margarine."
"That's all!?"
"Uh...dried fruit. Apricots, pears..."
"I don't like dried fruit."
"Since when? You used to eat dried fruit."
"I ate it, but I never liked it. Let's take fresh fruit."
"Fresh fruit!? Do you have any idea how much that WEIGHS?"
"I know how much it weighs. If you like, I will carry the fruit."
[suspiciously] "What kind of fruit were you thinking about?"
"Apples, oranges."
"Oranges!?!" [At this point, I pass out.]

He would say that I have also changed with the passing of time.

"Breakfasts?"
"Oatmeal?"
"No more oatmeal. I used to put up with eating that mushy s***, but I'm done gagging down oatmeal."
"So, what are you going to eat for breakfast?"
[perkily] "Clif bars!"
"That's all!?"
"Coffee!"

I think he wants to take a ridiculous amount of toilet paper. He thinks my rain gear is too heavy. Tomato, tomahto. Potato, potahto. But we're not going to call the whole thing off. We have successfully managed to negotiate eating utensils (2 tablespoons, one fork to share, one teaspoon to share), after all. Score one for the home team. We're getting our s*** together in the basement, so we don't have a last minute scramble to pack after I get home from work late Thursday night.




We need to get an early start on Friday morning. The trail head is on the North Slope, which means we have to drive up through Evanston, WY to get there, then drive quite a way on unpaved roads. Tonight, besides cutting my toothbrush, I oiled my hiking boots, water-proofed my stuff sack (rain in the Uintas in August is almost guaranteed) and sharpened the knife.

Soon, the only big questions left will be:

1. Will I get to the top of King's Peak without chickening out?
2. Will the weather cooperate at least a little and not send a bunch of lightning just as we're about to reach the peak?
3. (The really big question) Is there any way in hell I can manage to smuggle Harry Potter along? It's on my nightstand right now, driving me insane with anticipation. No. Must...resist... Still, I can't stop myself thinking...Weight? About the same as two oranges....

7 comments:

Weber said...

OH....the luxuries of car camping.

Donetta said...

Oh your funny! I'd take the oranges. I never thought about packing out the peal. Cant you just bury it, it will decompose. It has been so many years for us as well. It is a wonderful opportunity for the both of you. It sounds so quiet (except for the probable expletives that so often happen on a trip like this) :) HA HA!
Water is the heavy part. Maybe you could convince him to carry yours:)

Epimenides said...

Look on the bright side. He could've said apples and a watermelon! :D
...as far as I'm conserned, HP stays at home!!! :)

Lillian said...

Ditto on the orange peel question. Why do you have to pack those things out?

Don't take Harry Potter. A friend of mine read it at stoplights while driving on her family vacation. You'll be like, Hey, look! A rock! Let's stop and you can look at it while I read. Oh look! Another rock!

Kate said...

Well, the thing about orange peels is that they take a long time to break down, and something usually smells them and digs them up before they decompose. After the summer we've been having with bears, I don't want to be adding to the "human food" issue. Of course, we can solve that problem by burying them REALLY deep... Si could dig that hole while I read...:)

Anonymous said...

I think you should bring the book. Because then you'll have a great story to tell. But don't bring oranges, they're a waste of space. Leave the oranges in the fridge and bring the book along. If you really want to save weight tear off the covers. Better yet, speed read as much as you can and tear off just the part you haven't read to bring with you. Yep, problem solved. No messy oranges and you get the book too. I'm such a good problem solver.

Enjoy the trip, I mean the book, I mean...oh, just have fun.

Jessica Oakley said...

Reading your packing conversation in your accents made it even funnier. :)

Have a great time!!!