Monday, July 16, 2007

Camp Misconduct

Every year for the past 6 years, our book cub has planned a camping trip. We find a campground in a fun spot not too far from Salt Lake and book three adjacent sites. We bring our families (so we generally are about 14-16 people, ages 1 to 50-something) and spend a weekend acting like complete idiots. Each family volunteers to provide a meal, and we just throw snacks and drinks around randomly. The weekend is generally spent:

Lounging in camp chairs with books open in our laps while we fall asleep. Also commenting on who snores/drools while doing this.
Cooking and eating lavishly.
Geocaching, in some cases.
Swimming, sort of, if there is water.
Taking incriminating photos of each other. Except me. I always bring my camera, but get too distracted to use it. I'm sure I'll be getting some photos other people took in a few days.
Other important camp chores, such as jockeying camp chairs for the best position at the fire; trying to keep the picnic table clear enough to eat at; and sending representatives into the nearest town for ice, rum, chips, wood and Pull-Ups.

We used to call this "Camp Book Club", but a few years ago, someone (I think it was Rich) began to refer to it as "Camp Misconduct". This year I pointed out that, for all our swagger, we don't really get into much trouble. Wanna hear just how BAAAAAD we are? Here is a list of crimes that I observed (but perpetrators not named, 'cause others will want to take credit).

1. Copious alcohol consumption, resulting in dirty jokes, occasional butt-grabbing, and one camper referring to a bottle of South African Cabernet as "Cheetah Piss".
2. Cigar smoking.
3. Swimming in Silver Lake Reservoir even though the bottom was muddy and slimy. We live dangerously.
4. Picking a fight with the people at the neighboring site about whether they were "cleaning" fish at the communal tap, or just "washing" them.
5. Riding scooters in the road. Against the rules, according to the campground hosts.
6. Dipping a marshmallow in Sambuka (sp?) before toasting it, to see what happens.
7. Eating a package of Double-Stuff Oreos before the people who had brought them got any.
8. Saying that we were going to discuss the book, but blowing it off.
9. Lying and deceptive behavior regarding the rumored existence of a bag of Funyuns.
10. Turf wars over the sweet spot for achieving golden marshmallow perfection.
11. A major tussle over language. So, we're taking a survey.

When you are anticipating something eagerly and can't wait to get started, you are "________-ing at the bit". What verb do you use inthis expression? If you feel comfortable doing so, you could satisfy the linguist and tell me what state/country you were born in and what state/country you lived in during your late childhood. In the name of science, thank you.

22 comments:

Alice Kildaire said...

CHOMP-ing...yes, I'm from the south, North Carolina to be exact, but my daddy was a Yankee which could skew the results a bit :D

Anonymous said...

yeah I was going to say that too! But I'm not from the south...Hong Kong born and Oregon raised (Pacific Northwest), but dad was a cowboy,,,so heard it SOMEWHERE before. Is that cheating???

Rebecca said...

CHOMPING at the bit. I was born in Quantico, VA (marine brat) and grew up in Queens and Westchester Counties in NY. Since a bit is placed in the mouth of the poor beast, he would be chomping on it, yes?

That said, I know some one Queens/Long Island (NY) born and raised who says CHAMPING at the bit, and it grates on my nerves. Since she is approaching 70, doubt it will change.

Rebecca said...

By the way, your camping trip sounds like a blast!!

Erin said...

Chomping! Born in Iowa, raised in Texas, currently reside in Tennessee!

Epimenides said...

If you ladies insist, then "chomping" it is! :) Born Athens Greece, raised all over.

Sounds like a blast!!!!

Maria said...

I've never heard anything but "chomping at the bit." And I sat there and tried to come up with a substitute but couldn't even think of one.

Born in Iowa.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You've summed it up perfectly. I think I'll just copy it all and paste it on my blog. Interesting replies to your question. When will you divulge the "other" words?

Lillian said...

Hi Kate! Recent lurker here (found you via Center for Improved Living), delurking to answer this fun language question and to say that your camping trip sounds like a total blast!

Chomp-ing at the bit.
Born in: Utah
Lived in: Utah
Yeah, boring, I know.

Jessica Oakley said...

Kate, believe it or not, I forgot about the marshmallow in sambuka situation and LedOL when I read it! Oh, Camp Misconduct.

Chomp does seem to be the fave, although I believe someone around the fire did say "champing at the bit," which was mentioned by one of your readers.

I'm going to let the cat out of the bag... Shirley and I have not one, but TWO friends who say "fonching at the bit." FONCHing. Fonch isn't even a word, right??? Hence the survey. I think.

Kate said...

Well, since Jessica has "outed" me, I admit that I say "champ". I am from WI, but I'm also married to a Brit, which I think has affected my word choices. Blimey! At any rate, I was "champing" at the bit to do something when my friend Rick took exception to my choice of verb. Later, though, he acknowledged the existance of the little-heard "fonch"; we decided we would do a study. Thanks to all who participated. Your checks are in the mail.

Rebecca said...

Kate, I am feeling kinda sheepish about the "grates on my nerves" part....sorry, man! Maybe champing is a more proper, patrician way of pronouncing idiom?

Katherine said...

I've also heard "biting at the bit." I was raised in MA.

Love your scientific stats, Kate!

Kate said...

Rebecca Dahling!

I'm afraid there is not a patrician bone in my body. Part of the fun of Linguistics is hearing variation on themes, and the "grating on nerves" factor is actually pretty interesting to me. I have no idea if there's a "right" or "wrong" variation. We've collected "champ", "chomp", "fonch" and "bite" for that idiom. Jess, only your family friends are using "fonch". Maybe they made it up just to mess with you. :))))

Diane said...

Chomping, to be sure. Florida born, New York (Queens and Long Island) raised and Utah for more than half my life.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in New York City and now I live in Sarasota Florida and I've never heard anything other than CHOMP.

Diane, you and I are going in reverse geographical order. BTW, I've never met anyone who's actually from Florida.

Kate: Champing is perfectly acceptable providing that you realize you are saying it COMPLETELY WRONG!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding...even then it's still not acceptable. ;)

Fonching at the bit just sounds plain dirty.

Anonymous said...

I know this is a year old discussion...but this morning out of the blue I told a friend my girls were "fonching at the bit" to go swimming. Then I said "Why did I say that?? Isn't it 'chomping at the bit'??" Anyway it must have been in my memory bank from somewhere...too funny.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I acquiesce in but I contemplate the list inform should have more info then it has.

NancyMac said...

RE: "Fonching." My grandparents and other older kin from Arkansas regularly used "fonch" to mean the kind of restless squirming a child does when s/he is supposed to be sitting still. In church, for instance. I have not been able to find the word defined anywhere on the web, at least not in this meaning. Anyone else with Southern roots who knows of this usage? Thanks!

kimberly said...

I heard it said as "Chomping at the bit" all of my life. I was born and raised in Northeastern Arkansas, I live Central Texas now going on seven years. I heard it from my Boyfriends mother as "Fonching at the bit"! She asked me if I had ever heard of it and if I knew what it meant so I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary, what it said was so funny had to tell my boyfriend he needed to tell his mom what it said "
buy fonch mugs, tshirts and magnets
(aka The Fonch; orign American) n. 1. the mangina; n. 2. where a male takes his penis and sticks in between his legs to create a simulated vagina; v. 3. used in expression (see below).
1. You didn't just show dad 'the fonch' did you?
2. Fonch-tastic!
I nearly had a PMP because I Laughed so hard! I'm gonna send her a email a copy of the meaning in it, I still laugh when I think of her saying it and not knowing what it meant!