Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Numbers Keep Getting Higher

First of all, there's my age, which rolled over to 40 on the giant odometer of life today. Fortunately, I'm too busy to wallow in self-pity today. Maybe I'll indulge over the weekend. This pill was somewhat sweetened by cards from Sara and Nathan, each signed in their best handwriting; and I got an iPod, which is very cool! I won't be dependent on whatever music is issuing from various aerobics classes when I'm running at the rec center. I took a quick look at it this morning, and it seems pretty self-explanatory. Hopefully, I can load it up with tunes this weekend. I might have to do that instead of whining about my age and contemplating an eye-job.

The other large number causing me some concern today is 800, which is related to our upcoming climb of King's Peak. Si did a little research, and downloaded some info about the hike and the climb. We're planning to hike in about 10 miles the first day, spend the second day getting to the top of the Peak and back down, then hiking out on the third day. He read aloud to me while I cooked supper. "Shady trail....gradual elevation gain...great scenery...excellent camping choices..." Sounds good. I ask him about how many thousand feet of vertical we need to gain. "From trail-head to peak, 5,000 feet." No big deal, spread out over what looks like about 15 miles. It isn't really nasty until it's 1,000 feet of vertical or more per mile. And of course, the big elevation gain (the grind) won't be until the second day. "No technical climbing required...but the last segment of the climb is talus and boulder field." What? Talus? Boulders?Oh, ick. For those of you who don't hang out much in the mountains, "talus" is that loose, flat, broken s*** that slides out from under your feet, and we have a lot of moutains in Utah that are talus-topped. Since I like staying on my feet, I don't love talus/boulder scrambles. I glanced over Si's shoulder for a second. "Oh, well...that's only the last 800 feet. I can do it." "Actually, that 800 feet is the vertical that we gain in the scramble. It's actually about .8 of a mile long. " Oooooh. Well, all right... That's...a lot of talus. I better kick my workouts up a notch. The iPod arrived just in time.

12 comments:

Angelissima said...

Hey! great blog you have here. I'm also a fish out of suburbia...
good luck on that hike, sounds wonderful.

Rebecca said...

Happy Birthday, Kate!!! I think a good hike is a great way to celebrate the milestone. You beat all that tallus, and you'll feel fantastic! Meanwhile, a glass of wine, some chocolate and a bubble bath eases the shock when looking at life's chronometer :)

Alice Kildaire said...

Happy Birthday dear Kate...no worries, your frequent hikes should subtract at least ten years from your chronometer! :P

Anonymous said...

hey that ipod'll take ur mind off a things...800 will go by before ya know it! And Happy Birthday!

Kate said...

Thanks for birthday wishes!

Weber said...

Happy Birthday Kate! We'll be thinking of you on your climb - Good Luck.

theswamphare said...

Hi,

I got here from erin's blog, http://haikulady.blogspot.com/.

I also just got my iPod but haven't had a lot of time to use it yet. Talus sounds like 'scree' and I had to walk on it a bunch in the 2d Ranger Bn. You and Si ought to try the run at Mount Marathon in Seward, AK...youch! Plenty of talus and scree.

40 would not have even been memorable had I not been in Baghdad.

Swamp Hare

Epimenides said...

Happy Birthday Kate!!! Consider my Parajito post as a birthday present!
Enjoy your hike/climb! :)

Unknown said...

Happy birthday and happy climbing!

Lillian said...

Happy birthday! (A bit late, I know.)

Sounds like an awesome hike. Who cares how old you are, as long as you're enjoying yourself and doing great things like climbing mountains!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATE!!!!!!!!!!! 40 is the new 20, haven't you heard? Woo Hooo!

I'm listening to a Podcast novel set in and around the Wah Wahs. Every time I hear about the Utah scenery I keep thinking of you and your (oh so making me jealous )adventures. Right on!

I know you're going to have an incredible time but just please don't get so caught up in the beauty that you forget to take pictures...because right now I'm vicariously living the outdoor life through you. :)

PS: With the summer rain here there really is nowhere safe to hike. It's all snake filled swampland, but now I'm thinking...just maybe.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.