Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Books and Brain Candy

I have been spending a delightful day pounding my head against a statistical report that I have to file with the government before Friday. This report addresses enthralling questions such as, "How many of your 'High-Basic' English as a Second Language students this past year were Asian males between the ages of 25 and 44?" "For how many hours did those students (that'd be the high-basic Asian males between the ages of 25-44) attend class this year?"

All sharp objects have been taken out of the office until the sums of the rows add up to the sums of the columns.

I need brain candy. I have a good book at home that I'm reading; but I suspect that tonight, I will go for my anesthetic reading material instead. Here's a new pseudo-literary question for you: Is there a book you have read a zillion times, and you keep taking it out and reading it again?

For me, the choice is always the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. When my husband sees me reading one of those books, he says, "What?? Again?" They are quality escape-reading, though. Funny, exciting, sexy, but also detailed and historical. Love 'em.

BTW, can anyone advise me on how to do a sidebar featuring the book I'm currently reading? I see that a lot of my favorite bloggers have them, with a photo of the book cover and a link, but I can't make it work. How's it done?

Enough stalling. Next question: "How many Intermediate-Level Hipanic females between the ages of 17 and 24?"

13 comments:

Alice Kildaire said...

Eek! Statistical reports for the government! *hides*
Bless your heart! I've completely worn out a copy of Tale of Two Cities and am on my second copy of Best Loved Poems of the American People...but I must admit that every summer when I'm baking under the sun, I pull out a steamy historical romance novel, Rose of Rapture.
Hope you didn't leave too much brain splatter on your report!

Anonymous said...

If you'd like I'll make up some numbers and you can just enter those. Hey, at least I'm trying to help a friend in need.

I'm a pretty slow reader so I've never read a single book more than twice. I once read a Dean Koontz novel twice and didn't realize it until I got close to the end. I thought he was just being typically predictable.

You can do the sidebar two ways. One is just to save a picture of the book from Amazon.com and then use the Blogger photo widget to add the pic just like your other pics, but with a caption. The other way is to set up an Amazon affiliate ID (google it to find the right page) that will give you an option to create html code linking to the book and you'll get credit if anyone buys it. It won't really earn you any money but it is an option.

super hero said...

the amazon affiliate option is actually the easier one, because embedding a link to a blogger picture might be a problem. at least it was for me. i had to edit some html codes to do that, and even though it was the simplest form of codes from technical point of view, if you are not into it, dont even bother and get the amazon id.

i had read "the three musketeers" several times when i was a kid, but havent done that for years.

Rebecca said...

I don't reread books at all, though I am surrounded by people who do.

Kate, I love the first 3 books of the Outlander series. My girlfriends and I talk who should play Jamie in movie version. I think Jeremy Shockey of the New York Giants would make a perfect Jamie...Cover his tats, put him in a kilt, and look out!

Anonymous said...

Oh...the "Outlander" series....We can do some fantasizing about Jamie this weekend while we're sitting around the campfire and drinking a nice glass of wine. Of course, that's when the husbands start rolling their eyes and wondering what the hell we are talking about.

Kate said...

RP, this is a major source of speculation among my women friends and me as well!

Epimenides said...

The only book I read twice was Les Miserables, but no other since then.

rp - would he be wearing the kilt in the traditional highlander fashion? ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kate! I knew I could count on you for the answer! :)

Epi, that book counts as two.

Diane said...

Never have read a book twice. At least not since I was a kid. Way too many to read. I'm a fast reader, but have not been a voracious reader for many years. So there's that, too. "So many books, so little time".

Maria said...

Ugh. Red tape. I hate it.

I have a secret love for the Beany Malone books by Lenora Mattingly Weber....

Katherine said...

Kate, I cannot say I envy your stat work. Yuck. Fortunately, I don't have to get into that aspect of teaching....unless you count attendance, which I am occasionally called upon to do : )

Like David, I am a pretty slow reader, and like Diane, I have too many I want to read. I also like to read thoroughly, so I need to give myself lots of time to do this. Thus, as an adult, I rarely repeat book readings (though I re-skim them for classes for sure and read the various chapters to discuss). I DO re-read poems, however. And I admit to re-reading blog postings sometimes, especially my own so I can edit them to semi-perfection!

Rebecca said...

So, Kate, who have you all come up with to play Jamie? I'd love to bring your suggestion to our table.

Jessica Oakley said...

Kate...

1. The only book I've ever read twice is Lonesome Dove. I may have even read it three times. I'm not totally sure. But I love it.

2. I just started Outlander.

3. I added my current read to my blog. Here's how: I went to the page element customization page. I clicked 'add a page element'. I chose 'picture'. I googled outlander images. I copied the url of the image. I pasted it in the url section of the new page element on my blog. And then I saved changes. Its super easy. Does American Fork Canyon have wi-fi? I can show you...

4. I'm still nervous about the bear situation, but I've been practicing my karate chops. Still, midnight bathroom runs should happen in pairs.