Monday, July 9, 2007

International Product Tester

There is a dense haze over Salt Lake City, caused by the Millford Flats fire, which has burned over 250 square miles at this point.

Still, it was a good day because:

1. My in-laws flew back to England! Yipee! I was so good for 2 1/2 weeks. Feels like I spent the whole time cooking, and my face is frozen into permanent blankness.

2. Daughter Sara started Theater Camp today. This is waaaay out of her comfort zone, but she asked if she could do it, 'cause she's hoping it will make her "less shy", as she puts it. She loved it, made two new friends, can't wait for tomorrow, and learned how to die.

3. My friend John will be around when I go to Wisconsin next month, and has time for lunch.

4. I had my annual performance assessment with my boss. I won't bore you with my positive feedback. My "constructive comments" indicate that I'm "Type A" and "competitive". My boss wonders if I need to set a personal goal of relaxing more. S***, if I relax, I fall asleep. Being Type A is really just a means of staying awake.

Such a great day deserves to end with a piece of candy. Or two. My friend Shawn went to Taiwan for a wedding and brought me back some Taiwanese candy, which I found in my mailbox at work a few days ago. So, tonight I ate the first piece while I was rambling around the house, doing chores. Caramel-y and peanutty. Interesting. For the second piece, I actually stood still and looked at it after I unwrapped it. Hmmm... it was covered with green leafy bits, sort of like someone dropped it on a freshly mown lawn. Tea? Herbs? ....Mold or some other unauthorized green-ness? I looked at the ingredients. The English translation says, "maltose, peanut, glucose, wheat flour, salad oil laver". Whatever that is. The packet does say that it is "laver flavored". All righty, then. I wonder if the green stuff is "laver". I ate it, and I'm still alive. If this is my last blog entry ever, you'll know what happened.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha... We are constantly getting "weird" souvenirs from people coming back from places like Korea / Taiwan / China. Have you tried kimchee chocolate? Guaranteed to knock your socks off!!! I think I've tried what you had before...best not to think to deeply about the contents. After all billions of Taiwanese have eaten it..and they haven't died!

Hey schmooze queen 2, don't forget to schmooze others eh?

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah.. congrats on your good evaluation and your PIL's flying off! Must be a doubly good day for ya!

Diane said...

LOL!!! Gotta love that laver-flavored stuff.

So was the inspection an attempt to "stop and view the candies"? Good way to tone down the Type A-ness. ;)

Diane said...

Two comments:
1) I never got credit for completing the 8 random facts. Granted, they're boring compared to yours, but I'm just not such a witty blogger.
2) I think it's totally cool that I can post videos. What do you think of Priestess Sofia? It's the one you didn't comment on.

Rebecca said...

Really sorry to hear about the fires--just awful!!

Also, we have visitors from India come to the office every so often. Some of those treats are WONDERFUL--something very like pistachio shortbread is to die for, and some, well, not so much :) Good thing I sniff before I eat...

Kate said...

Did you finish the 8 facts? I'll have to go and see - I didn't see a new posting on Garden Blog.

Regarding Priestess Sophia, I admired without comment. She said it all!

Anonymous said...

I once got a lolipoop from the Dominican Republic. Yeah that's exactly what it looked like. Awful too.

Anonymous said...

David,

The chocolate LOOKED LIKE the Dominican Republic...that oughta be one of your posts!

Kate said...

Oi, Jyankee! Kimchee chocolate? This I have to try. A couple weeks ago, some students gave us a sort of sticky sour plum candy with an unidentified seed in the middle.

Donetta said...

Hello, Thanks for stopping by. Come back often. I enjoyed your post. Green stuff? seaweed?

Bridget said...

Congrats on your in-laws leaving. You know the saying, houseguests are like fish. AFter three days they really stink. We just got back from visiting family in Utah/Idaho and spent no more then two days at any one persons house. Makes for a good time.

Kate said...

Hi Bridget and Donetta-
Thanks for coming to visit me! It could have been seaweed.

Epimenides said...

When it comes to sweets, I'll try anything! No matter what they look like. Kate?...Kate?...Kate? OMG are you alright?

Donetta said...

Hello, I get to go camping to the Mogollon Rim in North Central Az, above Payson.
I hope you are having a nice day. I just finished a morning play date of 5 kids. Nice and quiet now for a while while my 2 kids chill to a movie.

Maria said...

Laver? Well, you are one brave soul. I do not know if I would have had the guts to try that one. Perhaps this all has something to do with the fact that I am home today chugging a gallon jug of laxative for my upcoming exciting adventure into colonoscopy land..

And how wonderful that your daughter actually stretched herself out like that to take a drama class. This is the kind of thing that we parents usually end up coaxing them into and to think that she is so mature that she did something that most adults have problems doing.

Two and a half weeks with your inlaws? I wouldn't last a week with mine. So, wow...it must feel great to take the game face off!

Anonymous said...

Kate: Is there a name for the landmass that is shared between Haiti and the DR? Just curious. :)

The spelling lolipoop was not a typo. It looked, smelled, and tasted like a lemon and tequila covered turd on a stick. Amazing, what we'll put in our mouths when we don't want to offend our well meaning friends.

Kate said...

David, that thar be Hispaniola.

Anonymous said...

If you GOOGLE-SEARCH "Salad Oil Laver", Kate's blog site is #5 on the list.

John

Amrita said...

The candy sounds so exotic. we have such stuff here too.It takes expertise to figure it out.